Saturday, December 26, 2015

End of Year Updates



Pics to follow tomorrow.  Yesterday we got the side cushions installed- there has been too much humidity and rain to paint the plywood, so I decided to go for functionality first.  I can always cover them up when we paint.

Also have a promising solution to the divider bar.  We located these, a special type of gate hinge, online:



These appear to be a perfect solution.  They have a 3" width, so Ty suggested we fasten 3 layers of 1x6 board in, bolt them all the way through, and secure the ends with pins as we did before.  I feel that having equal pressure on either side will prevent any destruction if the horses lean on it again.  Once the hinges arrive, we'll get the boards and give it a shot.  Hopefully this will hold up.  Once it's put together, I'll seal the boards with deck stain same as the plywood, and then install another set of cushions to either side.  I'll probably order the chest and butt cushions at the same time, and get everything installed.  Then the horses will be nicely padded all around, which should improve Major's overall opinion of trailer rides.  :-P


Hoping to accomplish all this in the next couple weeks.  Installing the divider is the priority, the cushions will be added afterwards.  Once all of that is done, or if there happens to be a day of good weather, I'll need to hit the interior with the primer and sander and see if there's any chance we'll get to paint it before spring.  I'm also putting money aside to hopefully get a full set of tires done as soon as possible.  The exterior work is last on my list, I'd rather it was safe and comfortable for the horses first.  We're also picking up some thin plexiglass to experiment with new window options.

Forward march!!

No comments:

Post a Comment