Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bondo Day 1

Today I finally started working with the Bondo.  Here are a few things I learned:

1.  I hate Bondo.

2.  It takes at least 2 gallons of Bondo to refinish the inside of a 1970s horse trailer.

3.  The horrible caulk crap I scraped off the inside of the trailer was NOT Bondo.

4.  I hate Bondo.


So this stuff essentially smells like paint thinner, dries in about 72 seconds, and is harder to sand down than cement.  It's impossible to apply it smoothly because it starts getting crusty almost instantly.  So I was left with no option but to glop it on as best as I could to fill the gaps, and hope like I hell I can figure out a way to sand it down again.

After day 1, the lower half of the trailer is mostly done with the application (still have a few small touch-ups to do).  I need to buy a second gallon to do the top half, and then sand, sand, and sand some more.  It's going to take a lot longer than I was hoping to get through the Bondo process, but on the bright side, I think it's going to be very effective in sealing all the seams, and covering up the rust spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment