Monday, August 24, 2015

Stage 1 Sanding Completed

All pre-Bondo sanding is now finished.  After finishing the Bondo applications I will of course have to sand again, at which point I'll hit any rough patches I missed the first time around in addition to smoothing out the Bondo seams.

I ended up pulling out that last piece of wood shelf, I decided it was pointless to leave it in.

After finishing the sanding, I applied rust converter spray onto all heavily rusted areas.  It now has to set for 24 hours before I can put anything over it.





You'll also notice I threw a coat of silver metallic spray paint over the divider board; the naked wood was starting to bother me.  It probably needs another coat, but at least it has some sort of a finished look now.  It's interesting that you can see the wood grain so much in the photo, because the metallic glitter makes it almost unnoticeable in person.



I also did one round of wood putty.  When it finishes drying I'll go back and apply some more to certain areas.  The worst damage should be hidden when I put up the new cushion strips anyway, but I figured I would patch, sand, and stain it thoroughly before putting the cushions up.  As a finishing touch I'm going to apply baseboards on both sides like I did in the red trailer, probably in black to contrast the walls and hide dirt.  



One of the rear running lights went out, so we bought 2 new LED ones to replace both back running lights (so they'll match).  We may look at rewiring the entire thing at some point.  I'm also pricing out a new set of tires, as that will eventually be needed, and I'm hoping we can replace the interior light and get that working as well.  

If all goes well, I should be able to start painting and staining in the next 7-10 days.  I'd like to move quickly and get this done before the weather cools off too much, and also before any of my major trips in October.  

The current progress doesn't really show through on pictures well, but it's all adding up to an awesome final reveal!


No comments:

Post a Comment